Tuesday, October 5, 2010

JuJu



I am being completely honest when I say that Jude coming into our lives has been the hardest and the most rewarding thing I have done. I was so in love with him from the moment I saw his picture. I knew that God had placed him into our family. He was my son. Jude, on the other hand, was not so sure. He didn't cry a much more than normal but he didn't sleep. In Ethiopia, he slept but his breathing never dropped into a full sleep. You know the feeling when a baby falls asleep on your shoulder and the breathing is so shallow, you wonder if they are still breathing? It took weeks, before my JuJu relaxed enough to sleep, really sleep. In Ethiopia, he would only go to sleep with a bottle which would keep him semi-content for 3-4 hours and then the only way to console was another bottle around the clock. We were told he was sleeping through the night before he came to us. Slowly, he would allow us to comfort him. The bottle wasn't necessary at night but we walked the floor with him every couple of hours. Naps were taken in the ergo or baby K-tan and only 45 minutes at a time. Again time and attachment began to help him.

At three months home, I was convinced Jude was just a serious person. He would not just chuckle as he played with his toys. We could make him laugh and smile but there was no giggling just because. Then something clicked. We were also dealing with teething and the frustration of not being able to move. He started to crawl and then it was like a switch turned on. He started sleeping better, he could be comforted just by a pat or my voice. This was still every couple of hours but we weren't walking the floors anymore. :) Napping was also getting better. He would also chuckle on his own, and initiate play with the Noah and Lily.

Darrel and I committed to six months of being with Jude around the clock and if we could not then Noah or Lily was there. Jude is sleeping much better. That six months has come and gone, he is still in our room but we will be transitioning him into another room soon. Attachment took time, honestly, longer than I expected for as young as Jude was when he was put into my arms. I really feel like attachment is happening and he is blossoming. His personality is becoming more and more apparent. His smile lights up a room. We kept him really close for those six months, not letting too many people hold him. We are now allowing Jude to decide who he goes to and not making him go to anyone he doesn't. (even if it is a relative, hard but we feel it's important) We have even gone to a concert and had my mom take Jude home and put him to bed while the rest of the family stayed out. He did great! We are now transitioning him to the nursery at church. Next Sunday, we will leave him with people who are there every week. Big steps for this momma but I can't wait to see how he does.

Someone asked me yesterday if everything feels normal and it does. Jude has just fit into our family. I think my biggest struggle now is not thinking every little discipline issue is because he is adopted. I have enjoyed listening to other mothers and what their 1 year olds are doing. (one forgets in 6 years :) We are so blessed to have him in our lives. It has been amazing to watch the miracle that God does in transforming an orphan into a child with family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learning so much from your transparency, thank you! And LOVE hearing updates on how your family is doing!!

Karis B said...

so happy for your joy in stepping out in faith into the adventure God called you into. Love you guys!

Cherie R said...

Glad things are going well. We'd enjoy getting together with you all sometime. Let us know when you'd like to do that. We'd even be willing to treat you all to dinner out - or have you here for a homecooked meal.