Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Life... and Jonah, a veggietales movie

I was reminded by a friend that if I have a blog, I need to post more than once a week. Well?  Life is confusing right now.  I hate to write out in public a bunch of stuff that is half baked in my mind. And right now a lot of stuff in my mind is half baked, not fully thought through. Hence the silence on the blog pretty much since China.  



But today the kids were watching Jonah, a veggietale's movie.  I really enjoy the humor of this particular veggietale's production as well as the accompanied music.  (What does rhythm with comet?) Anyway, they came to the moral part of the story about it is not what Jonah learned but what did you learn and that everyone deserves a second chance. Now, I truly believe that we serve a God of second chances but I am not sure that is the only lesson from the book of Jonah.
 
We had not started school for the day and I decided to change the Bible lesson to the book of Jonah.  It is a very small book and I pick a very kid friendly version.  The kids were right with me until I read the part where Jonah got angry at God and revealed the real reason why he refused to go to Nineveh.  "Our Lord, I knew from the beginning that you would not destroy Ninevah. That's why I left my own country and headed for Spain. You are a kind and merciful God, and you are very patient. You always show love, and you don't like to punish anyone, not even foreigners." 

The kids and I talked.  Was Jonah scared of going the Ninevites, because they were wanting to kill the Jews? No? Then why didn't he obey God and go? Because he did not want the Ninevites to repent and seek after God. We compared the people of Nineveh, who did not know the difference between good and evil, with the people of our time who make choices against God. Do these people today know the truth about Jesus, do we judge them like they do? God wants show his love but why are we not sharing the good news of Jesus with those who do not know him? There are still peoples in the world who have never heard the name of Jesus, how can that be after 2000 years? We have so much, we have been so blessed. Do we want to see the peoples of the world come to our Lord or are we like Jonah, wanting to keep it all for ourselves? I know, deep thoughts.

    


No comments: