Thursday, March 26, 2009

Finished- There is no me without you.

I finished the 427 page book in four days.  I was prompted to read the book when I heard that Haregewoin Teferra, the Ethiopian women featured in the book, passed away. She was inspiring.  She was so counter-cultural or maybe that is wrong.  Maybe it would be better said that she maintained her Ethiopian culture in the face of a tragic and overwhelming crisis.  If you have not read it, I would so recommend you do so.  I do not want to tell Haregewoin's story here because Melissa Greene does it too well for me to even try.  

Haregewoin spent the last ten years of her life caring for the unwanted children of Ethiopia, both HIV positive and negative.  Treating both children and adults that were positive with the respect they deserve. 

This book raised many questions, a lot of soul searching.  Is it selfish of us to spend the amount of money we are on adopting one child when the same money could save many? Who is going to care for these children now that she is gone?  

God brought to my mind what a dear friend told me once.  God goes to great lengths to rescue his children.  She was speaking of both physical adoption and as well spiritual adoption.  God created families, that is how He intended for His children to be nurtured and grow. I also do not believe that we are not responsible to care for the ones that will not be adopted as well. I don't think that it is a either or. 

Melissa Greene, the author of  There is no me without you is asking for help to care for the HIV+ children that were in Haregewoin's care.  You can to go to here and read Melissa request for yourself. 

Still lots of thoughts and not sure what it will all mean in my daily life but it is definitely information that has to have action attached to it. 

No comments: