Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 & prayer

I awoke this morning to the thought that today is September 11.  I had not thought about today at all as it approached.  Every year I explain to the children what happened today since one of them was 2 and the other wasn't even here.  I want my children to know about September 11 and how it has effected our culture: why we are so concerned with the Middle East on a political front and why our friends choose to protect our country.  Today, I stop and explain that 3000 people lost their lives: New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.   But I also explain to them that protecting ourselves militarily is only half the picture. I also tell them that the people who flew those planes into the buildings did not like America because we are Christian and they are extremist Muslims.  I explain that extremist Muslims believe they will get great rewards if they die a martyr's death.  I explain that if these extremist could know who Isa really is and accept Him as their savior there would be no need for the military conflict.  So pray for the families of the victims of 9/11, pray for our troops and pray for the missionaries in the 10/40 window who are serving our King. Muslims are taking this month to pray and so should we. 

No comments: